George Abang Ekpungu is a Nigerian politician and Lawyer. He was appointed the Secretary of the Economic and Financials Crimes Commission (EFCC) by President Buhari in June 2021. George Ekpungu was born on 23 March in Boki, Cross Rivers
Dr George Abang-Ekpungu was the former Commissioner for New Cities Development in Cross River.
Below is the short profile of the newly EFCC Secretary:
- George Abang Ekpungu is the Principal Consultant at George Kennedy Consulting
- George Abang Ekpungu is the legal luminary and the immediate past Commissioner for New Cities Development.
- George Ekpungu was born on 23 March in Boki, Cross Rivers
- He studied Philosophy (Ph.D.) focused on capital market/commercial dispute resolution strategy, which he obtained from the Ahmadu Bello University in 2015.
- Dr Ekpungu worked with the Economic and Financial Crime Commission between 2005 to 2008.
- In 2013, he was appointed as the Chief Certified Compliance Officer in the Nigerian Capital Market by the Security and Exchange Commission.
- In 2014, he was appointed the company Secretary to Elcrest E&P Limited. He was also appointed to the rank of Notary Public by the Supreme Court in 2014.
- In 2015, he was appointed as the Commissioner for New Cities Development in Cross River State, an appointment he held until his resignation to seek for the Ikom/Boki Federal Constituency election in 2019.
- In 2021, he was appointed as the secretary of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) under administration of President Muhammadu Buhari. These appointments are in line with Section 2 (1) and Section 4 of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Act, 2004.
- Dr Ekpungu hails from Kakwagom community in Boki local government area.