The University of Ibadan, hereby announces it’s hosting of the Collaborative Ph.D Programme (CPP) in Economics, in collaboration with the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), Nairobi, Kenya.
The programme is designed to train a cadre of highly qualified teachers and researchers in Economics for the English-speaking West African subregion. It is part of a larger programme designed to provide world-class training of economists by African Universities for countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
The programme at the University of Ibadan is open to all citizens of English-speaking West African countries affiliated with eligible organizations, engaged in economics education, research and economic policy management. These include Universities, research institutes, and economic managements within the government. Limited spaces are available for applicants from other English-speaking countries across Africa.
Three categories of applicants are eligible for admission into the programme: They are:
(i) Applicants from eligible public sector
(ii) organizations; Applicants attached to, or being sponsored by eligible private institutions, or organizations, as part of their staff development programmes, and
(iii) Independent applicants on self sponsorship in the programme.
The candidate in this Ph.D. programme shall be required to
- take both Compulsory and Elective courses in Economics at the Ph.D. level, and pass examinations in these courses;
- pass a Comprehensive Examination at the end of the course work; successfully defend a Ph.D thesis proposal at a Departmental seminar, and
- Write a Ph.D. dissertation under supervision, to be defended at an Oral Examination for the award of a Ph.D. degree in Economics by the University of Ibadan.
The programme is tenable at the University of Ibadan.
Two categories of financial support are available to students in the programme, both on competitive basis:
(i) Scholarship: Applicants from eligible public sector organizations are eligible to apply for, and be considered for award of full or partial scholarship by the AERC.
(ii) Ph.D. Thesis Research Grant 1: All students enrolled for the programme are eligible to apply and be considered for the award of this grant, depending on the assessed quality and potential development impact of their approved thesis proposal.
Admission to the Collaborative Ph.D. Programme shall be on a competitive basis. The criteria for admitting students to the Programme include the following considerations:
- an applicant must have a good honours degree in Economics, or in related fields, from a recognized University;
- the applicant must also have a good Master’s degree in Economics (with a course work component) from a recognized University; and
- eligible candidates may be required to take a Selection test and/or attend an Oral examination both of which shall be conducted by the Department of Economics of the University of Ibadan.
Completed application forms must be accompanied with the following documents:
- certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts;
- three letters of recommendation from senior University academia who previously taught the applicant;
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae of the applicant;
- evidence of attachment to, or sponsorship from eligible institution. All applicants found eligible for admission will be required to provide evidence of sponsorship or financial capability before their admission process can be finalized; and
- a 5-paged statement of research interest.
HOW TO APPLY
FOREIGNERS WITHIN AND OUTSIDE NIGERIA
Non-Nigerian applicants within and outside Nigeria should follow steps 1 to 3 above to obtain invoice and pay into the bank using bank draft/bank cheque of US$160.00 made payable to the Postgraduate College, University of Ibadan.
For the purpose of this transfer, use the following below :
DOMICILIARY ACCOUNT BANK DETAILS
For USD inflows
- Intermediary bank: CITI BANK, UK
- SWIFT Code: CITIUS33
- Bank Address: 388 Greenwich Street
- Beneficiary Bank’s Name: ZENITH BANK, UK
- SWIFT Code: ZEIBGB2L
- Bank Address: 39 Cornhill, London EC3V 3ND, UK
- IBAN GB73ZEIB4062700019294
- Further Credit To: CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA
- SWIFT Code: CBNINGLA
- MDA’s Account Name: CBN UNI IBADAN USD AC
- MDA’s Account No: 3000118035
CLOSING DATE AND SUBMISSION OF COMPLETED APPLICATION FORMS
Application forms, duly completed and returned to the Postgraduate College, University of Ibadan, not later than July 21, 2023 will be considered for admission in the 2022/2023 Session. Applicants are to note that this deadline will not be extended. Application forms could be sent by courier or personally delivered to the Postgraduate College, University of Ibadan. All mails are to be addressed to: The Secretary, The Postgraduate College, University of Ibadan, Nigeria. Applicants shall be informed of the progress of their applications electronically through their e-mail addresses.
Very Important Notice
For general and specific information regarding postgraduate admission and steps to follow in the application procedure as well as information for foreign students, please visit the website: http://pgcollege.ui.edu.ug. This link http://pgcollege.ui.edu.ng/admission will also take you to the approved guide to admissions for the 2022/2023 academic session.
Visit the Postgraduate College, University of Ibadan Website: http://www.pgcollege.ui.edu.ng. Click the ‘APPLICATION’ button and follow the details instructions on the application process provided.
The required information is also available on the website of the Association of African Universities (AAU), African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) and of the International Development Research Centre (IDRC). Applicants are also free to link-up directly with the Department of Economics, University of Ibadan on email http://[email protected], or cellphone 234 80 3506 2430 if and when necessary to do so.
Applicants are expected to complete the online process, print the specified documents and return the signed documents to:
- The Secretary,
- The Postgraduate College,
- University of Ibadan,
- Ibadan, NIGERIA
Process of Payment of Application fee is also specified on the Web site. Application Fee is as follows:
- Application Fees N18, 000.00 US$150
- Transaction Fees N 750:00 US$10
Applications and relevant documents should be submitted on or before July 22, 2023.