Transport Infrastructure is the fixed installations, structures, and networks that provide a framework for the movement of people and goods. Urban transport infrastructure can be collated under five broad headings:
Bridges and tunnels
Rail and trams
Bike paths and walkways
List of 10 Most Expensive Transport Infrastructure in the World?
The 10 most expensive transport infrastructure in the world are;
- High Speed 2 (HS 2) – $136bn
- Chuo Shinkansen – $84bn
- California High-Speed Rail – $80bn
- Northern Powerhouse Rail (NPR) – $47bn
- Suburban Rail Loop – $34bn
- Grand Paris Express – $31bn
- London Crossrail Project – $24bn
- Riyadh Metro – $22.5bn
- Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Railway Corridor – $15bn
- Klang Valley Mass Rapid Transit Project – $12.2bn
How much does railway infrastructure cost?
According to reports, rail constructions per mile cost between $1 Million – $2 Million per mile. In 2021 alone, governments spent over US$500 billion on 276 rail construction projects.
Why are US rail projects so expensive?
As per reports, rail projects in the United States are so expensive as a result of inflation and higher construction costs. According to Brian Kelly, CEO of the California High-Speed Rail Authority, the government has spent US$9.8 billion thus far for rail projects.